Can Pet Hair Make You Sick?


Your pets are family. They wake you up in the morning, begging for breakfast. They sit by the door while you’re at work and wait for you to return. They snuggle with you on the couch while you watch TV. And they sleep at the foot of your bed.

People don’t call them ‘fur-children’ for nothing.

And we’ve all heard about the health benefits of owning a dog or cat. Studies have shown that pet owners tend to have lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol, and more opportunities for exercise and socialization than their non-pet owning peers.

And yet, if you’ve noticed that you sniffle a little more when they’re around or that your eyes get watery after they give you a kiss you may be wondering, “Can my pet’s hair make me sick?”

Most pets shed their hair and fur, leaving it floating throughout the air in your home, covering couches and beds, and even drifting onto kitchen counters. So, if your pet’s hair is making you sick, you need to know so you can do what’s needed to minimize any health risks.

And unfortunately, just because you haven’t shown any symptoms doesn’t mean that pet hair isn’t getting to you. So, read on to discover several ways that pet hair can make you sick…

yerlin matu 481826 unsplash

Pet Hair Can Make You Sick Via Bacteria

Bacteria is everywhere, from our kitchen counters to our toilet seats. We even have bacteria colonizing our bodies. But not all bacteria are created equal. Some kinds are particularly dangerous and can leave you with major health problems.

Pets have a tendency for attracting unhealthy bacteria, from e-coli to salmonella and everything in between. And they don’t just carry those dangerous little critters in their guts, they can ride on your pet’s fur. When shedding occurs and that hair takes a leap into the air, all that bacteria goes with it… and hopes that an unsuspecting host like you will walk by and breathe it in. And then what happens? Vomiting, diarrhea, and worse.

So, how can we protect ourselves from the bacteria that our pets may track in? Practice good hygiene for yourself and your pets. Give them regular baths and don’t forget their routine vet visits. Always wash your hands after playing with your fur-babies. And don’t forget to remove any unwanted pet hair from your sofas, tables, and other furniture.

If you make good hygiene a priority, you’ll minimize the potential for picking up bad bacteria from your pet’s fur.


Pet Hair Can Make You Sick Via Parasites

Parasites are the little creatures that make their home on and in the bodies of hosts like you and your pet. They come in a wide variety of types, from tapeworms to scabies and fleas. And many of them can travel on pet hair, right to your nose.

If they ever burrow their way into your body, you’ll be facing a nightmare. Rashes, itching, pain, and more accompany parasites.

If you want to protect you and your family from inconvenient and uncomfortable parasites, make sure that your pet always makes his regular vet appointment. Have him checked and treated for worms and fleas often. And take advantage of medicated shampoos that kill and prevent parasites from setting up shop in your pet’s hair.

Pet Hair Can Make You Sick Via Allergies

Everyone knows that, for certain people, pet hair can trigger unbearable allergic reactions. But what you may not realize is that an allergy can crop up seemingly out of nowhere. You may have been fine with your pet’s hair for years and then, one day it hits you. And you can barely be in the same room with her.

If you’ve found yourself chronically coughing, sneezing, having irritated eyes or a runny nose, or experiencing sinus problems out of nowhere, there’s a possibility it could be related to your pet’s hair. If you’ve developed an allergy to your pet, you may be able to manage it with medication and a solid pet hair-cleaning routine. But sometimes, allergies can become so severe that there’s simply nothing you can do but avoid contact.

If you’re concerned that you may have developed a sudden allergy to your pet’s hair, contact your family doctor and he can have you tested.

Yes, Your Pet’s Hair Can Make You Sick.

As much as we love our pets, the sad fact is that their fur can make us sick. But this doesn’t mean we have to get rid of them or leave them outside, whining at the door. By keeping ourselves, our pets, and our homes clean and free from loose pet hair, we can minimize the chances that our pet’s hair will make us sick.

If you’re searching for a way to keep your home’s furniture pet hair-free, we offer several helpful options, including eco-friendly Fur Magic brushes that come in six colorful styles as well as reusable rollers that make eliminating fur a breeze.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *